Monte Carlos

7 Jul

Australian Women’s Weekly has recently produced a lovely new book….with one slight problem. Its title.

‘macaroons & biscuits’

While on the front cover it has a lovely looking bowl of ‘macrons’. This troubled me, but it is a lovely book so on my own copy I added ‘& macarons’. I considered crossing one ‘o’ out, however the book does contain recipes for ‘macaroons’ as well as ‘macarons’ (‘macaroons’ are generally a chewy coconut biscuit, similar in ingredients to ‘macarons’, but really quite different). They seemingly differentiate between ‘macaroons’ and ‘macarons’ by calling ‘macarons’ ‘almond macaroons’….but having said that, they don’t consistently do so for all the recipes of ‘macarons’. Oh dear. But I’ll stop my rant and carry on with the post, but not before showing you this…

One day I’m going to go through the entire book and alter the spelling wherever the incorrect use occurs!

Moving on from ‘macaroons’ and ‘macarons’, I decided to make Monte Carlo Biscuits from a recipe given in the book….the picture was just so appealing, and they always were one of the best Arnott’s biscuit flavours (for those of you who’ve never had them, they’re a honey-coconut biscuit filled with vanilla cream and raspberry jam).

This is the picture from the Women’s Weekly cookbook…yup, very appealing!

So I made them. After making the mix I wondered why it was so extremely dry…I was suppose to roll it into ovals, and yet it was crumbling everywhere. Assuming there must be something wrong with the recipe (rather than my own culinary skills), I just added a bit of water to make the dough come together, and then I began to roll them…

Halfway through rolling the mixture (after the first tray was already in the oven) I decided to read the recipe to check the cooking time, and it was then that I realised that I’d forgotten the egg…opps! At least that solved the mystery of the crumbly mix…even if it did humble me just a little bit!

The biscuits in the oven looked like they were cooking just fine, but to ensure I didn’t stuff up the whole lot I added half and egg to the rest of the mix. When they were all finally cooked I couldn’t actually tell a great deal of difference between the two, apart from the ones with the egg were slightly better shaped (it was so much easier to roll the mix!). So in the end my inattention to the details of the recipe wasn’t too much of a problem, but it did remind me of something…READ THE RECIPE (most particularly if the mixture doesn’t look right).

Here are the two different mixes cooked to biscuits…

Without egg

With egg

After the biscuits were cooked and cooled, I filled them with a vanilla buttercream and a delicious raspberry jam (it was Rose’s raspberry conserve, particularly lovely).

The result…lovely! (and even better the next day when the filling set a little more)

P.S. When my mum tried them she enthusiastically told me they tasted like the ‘REAL’ biscuits…I laughed and said that they were more the real biscuits than the Arnott’s ones, but then, after looking up a bit about Monte Carlo biscuits I discovered this: They were created by Arnott’s in 1926 and were named after the city of Monte Carlo…and so in the end my mum was right. However I’d like to think these biscuits taste a bit better than the packet ones.


One Response to “Monte Carlos”

  1. Beth July 18, 2010 at 7:35 pm #

    since reading your blog (erm bec put me onto it!) i’ve made some macarons and they were delicious!
    i’m going to look out for that book, it looks great!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: